The Ministry of Education has revealed that 39,655 students who failed to secure a pass mark in 2021/2022 National Examinations are set to repeat the school year.
The details emerged on Tuesday 27th September 2022 as the ministry announced results for primary school and ordinary level national examinations for the year 2021/2022.
The Minister of Education, Dr. Valentine Uwamariya has said that a total of 227,472 candidates sat for primary leaving national examinations of whom 125,169 are girls while the number of boys stood at 102,303.
“A total of 206,286 candidates obtained a pass mark, representing 90.69%. This means, the remaining 21,186 equivalent to 9.31% failed. Last year, pupils passed exams at 82.8%. This shows the improvement registered this year,” she said.
- Advertisement -
As for ordinary level, only 126,735 sat for exams out of 127,589 registered candidates.
“A total of 108,566 students passed the national exam representing 85.66% while 18,469 representing 14.34% failed exams. Unlike primary national exams, the ordinary level’s performance is below compared to 86.3% registered last year,” said Dr. Uwamariya.
Of those who passed primary leaving exams, 26,922 received boarding schools while 179,364 were sent to day schools.
Dr. Uwamariya has revealed that all students who failed to secure a pass mark will repeat classes.
Last year, a total of 60,000 who failed primary leaving and ordinary level national examinations also repeated the school year.